List of active policies
|Disclaimer for Course Participants||Site policy||All users|
Here's the super-quick summary:
- Your information will kept safely.
- We won't share it with our member institutions, universities or your school or college.
- This course has no bearing on future applications to the University of London or its member institutions.
- The course is impartial and for educational purposes.
- It's not personalised advice: no course can know you as well as you know yourself!
- Videos of our students and alumni contain their personal opinions, and don't necessarily reflect the view of the University of London.
- We're not responsible for what you do with this information, but we hope you'll find it really helpful.
Please read the following carefully before you join this course. By registering and enrolling on this course and clicking to accept these terms, you accept and agree to be bound and abide by them.
Your information will be held securely, as outlined in the Privacy Notice (accessible via the 'Policies' link in the footer). No personal data will be shared with our member institutions (the universities that make up the federal University of London) or admissions teams, nor with your school or college. Participation or otherwise in this course will have no bearing on future applications to the University of London or its member institutions.
The information contained in this course is for educational and informational purposes only, and are not intended as, and shall not be understood or construed as, personalised professional advice. You agree that the University of London has not made any guarantees about the results of taking any action, whether recommended on this course or not. You nevertheless recognise that the outcomes of this course will be the result of your own efforts, your situation, and innumerable other circumstances beyond the control and/or knowledge of the University of London. You also recognise that prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. Thus, the results obtained by others – whether clients or customers of the University of London or otherwise – applying the principles set out in this course are no guarantee that you or any other person or entity will be able to obtain similar results.
The views and opinions expressed are those of the interviewed contributors and do not necessarily reflect the views, position, or policy of the University of London. The information contained in this course is correct as of the publication date. None of the authors, contributors, administrators, or anyone else, in any way whatsoever, can be responsible for your use of the information contained in or linked from these web pages.
Here's the super-quick summary:
- We're The Careers Group at the University of London (a team of careers professionals)
- We collect some personal data about you when you do this course.
- We keep data to allow you to do the course (e.g. email registration) and to evaluate the course (e.g. user statistics)
- We will keep your data safe and won't share it outside of delivering the course.
- You can ask us to update it or erase your data at any point by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
The Careers Group is part of the University of London. We are registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office (our notification number is Z5419651) and we have a Data Protection Officer, Suzie Mereweather who can be contacted via email@example.com. You can find out more on our data protection webpage at http://www.london.ac.uk/data-protection.html
One of our responsibilities under data protection legislation is to tell you about the different ways we collect and use your personal data. This statement provides details about what we will do with your personal data in relation to our online courses.
What information do we collect from you?We collect personal data about you when you participate as a learner on our online careers course. We also collect data from Alumni and Students who submit video content as part of the course.
When you enrol in the course, we hold the following personal data about you:
- Your name
- Your year group
- What type of school or college you attend
- Whether or not you receive free meals from your school or college
- Contact details
- Image and voice
- Course and institution
- Location or other information evident in the video content
- Information you disclose about yourself in the video content
Why do we collect this information?When you enrol in the course, we collect and use your personal data in these ways:
- To enrol and manage you as a student on the course
- To allow us to analyse the reach and impact of the course
- Keep in touch with them about video content provided
- Use their video content
What do we do with this information?When you enrol in the course, we collect your data directly from you. We use it and collect additional information as your course progresses to manage your progress on the course. We use data on your background (school/college, school meals information) to run statistics to check that we are providing our courses to as wide a variety of people as possible.
For alumni and current students providing videos for use in the course, we may edit their content and use it within revised content that we create with a similar purpose. If we use their material for another course or to use in another video then we will make reasonable efforts to let them know.
Data is stored securely within the Moodle Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), either on University servers or within the third party cloud systems operated by our VLE provider. All data is stored securely. The University processes personal data in accordance with data protection legislation and our own Data Protection Policy.
How long do we keep your information?We will keep your data for 6 years after your enrolment. If you provide video content for use in our courses we may keep your profile up on our website for a few years after you provide it.
Who do we share your information with?When you enrol in the course we do not share your data with any of our member institutions. We will not share data with your school and parent / guardian about whether you attended the course and how you did. The University and its colleges may use companies to provide services to us to help deliver your course, such as the Moodle VLE, but they will be under our instruction and will not do anything with your data we do not want them to.
For alumni and current students providing videos content for use in our Taster Courses, we will share the information within our Virtual Learning Environments (VLE). If it is used in publicity material it will be shared on public facing websites, but we will make reasonable efforts to let you know. Moodle data is be stored securely in cloud systems operated by our VLE provider. If this involves data being shared outside of the UK, where UK data protection law may not apply, we ensure our contracts with the suppliers include the necessary provisions to protect your personal data.
What rights do you have in relation to the way we process your data?As an individual whose data we process (a data subject), you have certain rights in relation to the processing. You can find detailed information about your rights as a data subject.
You have the right to:
- Ask us to confirm that your personal data is being processed and to gain access (i.e. have a copy) of that data as well as to be provided with supplemental information about the processing.
- Request that we rectify any inaccuracies where the data we hold on you is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Have your data erased by us, although in certain circumstances we may not be able to do this.
- The circumstances where this applies can be found in the guide to data subject rights information.
- Restrict the processing of your personal data in certain ways.
- Obtain your personal data for reuse.
- Object to certain processing of your personal data.